Business litigation is at the heart of Christopher’s practice.
He deals with disputes about commercial disputes of most kinds except shipping contracts. One of his advantages is that he has knowledge and expertise in a number of areas of law, in particular banking, company, civil fraud, conflict of laws and real property and brings this multi-disciplinary experience to the cases in which he is involved.
He also has a domestic and international arbitration practice.
Christopher has appeared in a range of construction and engineering disputes over the years and is skilled in digesting technical and expert evidence. He now principally appears/advises in technically – complex sale of goods/supply of services disputes (including adjudications).
Examples of recent cases include representation of a foreign bank in respect of a number of property sales alleged to have been the subject of misrepresentation; and a claim in the Chancery Division for specific performance of a contract to transfer shares/damages.
Related selected cases
- ICC Arbitration (confidential) – junior member of a team of counsel engaged in a multi-jurisdiction energy-related arbitration. Advising and assisting particularly concerning challenge to the award under s.68 and enforcement; and in related Commercial Court guarantee proceedings.
- Begum v Hossain  EWCA Civ 717 – successful appeal to the Court of Appeal on the basis that an expert valuer of shares materially departed from his mandate.
- Ap (UK) Limited v West Midlands Fire and Civil Defence Authority v R, G and P Patel (QBD) (Master Fontaine) (2012) (HQ05X00341) – long-running non-party costs claim by the Fire Brigade against the Respondent Patels arising from QB actions stuck out in 1999 and 2005; consideration of the appropriate test for non-party directors’ liability for costs and apportionment of costs liability (with Paul Reed QC).
- Eugene McLaughlin and others v Bradbury & Co Limited/Sunday Solutions Limited (claim HC10C00779) – claim on behalf of over 80 IT contractors for restitution/damages/tracing and other equitable remedies; action issued in 2010 and stayed following a public interest winding up petition presented against the defendant companies; several interlocutory hearings concerning Bankers Book/injunctive/disclosure applications.
- Cada Design Group Limited v Magazini Familia Eood (QBD) (Dec 2009) (HQ0X02023) – successful claim for damages against a Bulgarian company; conflict of laws/English/Bulgarian company/restitution law.
- Salako Agents Limited v. Aerometals BV & others (QBD) (Commercial Court) – (Claim No. 2001 Folio 963) (2002)– high value property development claim including misrepresentation issues – with Roger Ellis QC (leader) and Gabriel Buttimore (first junior).